Highlights of Madrid

by - 6:12 PM



The first time I stepped my foot, I could tell right away that I love this city more than Barcelona. It is not only me, but my friends do think so. Although Madrid is larger, I love the fact that it is less crowded which makes it less bronx. The people looks more.. tidy?? Hmm, I'm not sure of the words, I hope you know what I am trying to say. Talking about the metro station, it is also cleaner and sure does have enough air to breathe. We had very limited time in Madrid, but I am glad that I could visit these places:

1. Royal Palace of Madrid (Palacio Real de Madrid)
While London has Buckingham Palace, Madrid has its own palace for the Spanish Royal Family. Since I don't like to tell about history, you can Google it by yourself. I suggest you don't only take pictures outside, please do spend some time and money to come inside. Wait for my next post about the palace itself.


Back side of the palace



2. Catedral de la Almudena
The church is right beside the Royal Palace, so while I was there, why not also take a peak inside? This underrated cathedral is surprisingly beautiful. I definitely like this church better than Sagrada Familia.





3. Mercado de San Miguel
Foodies out there, raise your hands up! This market is a must-visit. As a fellow foodie, I feel like I'm in heaven. Offering great atmosphere and choices of food, this market must not be left out from your itinerary.


4. Plaza Mayor
Located right at the city center, this Madrid's main square is popular among locals and tourists. The restaurants surrounding the square are mostly pricey. Tight on budget? You still can sit around at this pretty open space. Better go here when it's almost dark and the lights starts to be lit.



5. Puerta de Sol
Walking a few minutes from Plaza Mayor, you will find another interesting square and it's widely known to be the busiest place in Madrid. Here you can hang around, people watching, and watch street performances. How I love night lights and crowds, so I think this is a perfect place to spend my night. 
Credits to Adam Rahmansyah

While Tokyo has Hachiko, Madrid has this 'The Bear and Strawberry Tree' statue
which is the official symbol of the city

6. Opera
Based on my experience, this spot should be considered as starting point when you want to go to mentioned places above. Not a must visit, but there are several restaurants, cafés, and shops to look at. Walk further and you'll find yourself in Puerta de Sol.



7. Chocoletaría San Gines
Serves the best churros and hot chocolate in town. Has opened since 1894, you just can't go wrong. The churros are cooked and served at its best: deep-fried, hot, and crispy. The nice, thick dark chocolate complements them well. Located in a passageway in Opera, it's not quite easy finding the place. You have to be careful looking at your sides, or else you miss it. The best thing is you can have the churros anytime, it opens 24 hours! Definitely a to-go for late night snacking.






8. Gran Via
Besides being the most famous street, it is known to be the street that never sleeps. Shopping center for girls and entertainment center for everybody. There were supposed to be many cinemas, theatres, bars and clubs, but I think I didn't walk far enough to find them.



You May Also Like

0 comments