2017 Year-End Note: A Story of Gratitude and Other Life Lessons

by - 6:02 PM



These past two years have been the greatest years I've ever had. I had been wanting to write this last year, but I just got the chance now.

It is all started when I enter working life as an intern in January 2016. I began to see life in a wider perspective. At first, based on what most people said, working in a 8 to 5 office seems boring and flat. I thought I would never be able to make it to stay for a 3-month internship. Turns out, I requested to extend my contract. Office feels like my second home. I was in my last semester of college, having one class left to attend, and working on my final report. But I loved to be in the office more. I didn't expect to be in a pleasant working environment. I got to meet these amazing friends, attend many fun office events, eat lots of food (I was even appointed as 'snack manager', haha), and of course develop my professional skills. Every day is fun day and full of laughter.

In the middle of the year, I was finally graduated and got my bachelor degree. Yeay! Finally I was free and could focus on work. I was hoping I then got promoted to be permanent employee, but I happily continued to stay as an intern until the end of the year. Well, great thing about it is I didn't have to worry about attendance. I could only just tell my manager if I wasn't going to the office and still could go on holiday easily. Approaching year-end, I got mixed feelings. I hadn't known whether I would get employed or not and I would be very sad to leave the company and its people. A day before my last day, thinking that it would be the last time I meet most of my friends before they took leave, I decided to read a letter to them. I almost cried and felt so emotional knowing I have to leave all the good things behind.

Then suddenly all the sadness changed. Since my manager is on leave, I got called by CFO in her room. She told me I could start working as permanent employee by new year. What?! Did I just mishear? I was shocked, I couldn't think clearly. I was just saying goodbye and then I got this announcement? I didn't even realise I was dancing joyfully in front of her. I was extremely happy! Yes, baby, I landed my first job!

I couldn't believe all this magic just happened. I started the new year with a whole new spirit. More responsibilities and new opportunities to come. While happily working, through my encounter with people, whether they are people I know or strangers, my eyes and mind are more opened that I get to feel more grateful on small things I didn't realise I have it already.

Outside, people see me as a cheerful, loud, and always-energized young lady. But when I'm at home and locked up in my room, it's time for me to chill and reflect on what I have been through that day.

Sometimes, we, as employees have to work over time to catch deadlines, either it's working late than usual or coming to office on holiday. I don't have any problem with that since I'm still single and haven't had any dependents yet. But how about the others? Most of them are fathers and mothers, they have families. They sacrifice their precious time with their loved ones. And what if their house is far away from the office? Every morning and night most of them need to find transportation and spend quite long time to reach their desired destination.
Nowadays, it is easier to find transportation, thanks to online taxis and ojek (=motorcycles). Even though the distance between my house and office is not that far, the traffic could be very bad. I do sometimes take online ojek since it is more efficient. I could save so much time! I usually give tips to the drivers and learn how Rp5,000,- could mean so much. Every time I give the tips, I just smile and look away because I could immediately cry in front of them. I'm such a drama queen, I know. They genuinely say thank you and I could really feel their happiness. With their smile, I become happy too. I learn that you could be happy by giving.

Life is not easy. I do often cry unnecessarily, just because I'm too thankful, or seeing others' happiness and even their struggles. When I couldn't help them directly, I pray for them to make me calm. As I get older, I learn not to judge people on first impression. Every people has their own story.

People sometimes wonder how I could look happy all the time. It's simply because I choose to be happy. Of course there are times when I trapped in unpleasant situation where I want to scream loudly and smash everything around me, but I try to find positive sides behind every bad situations I encounter. For example, I was riding this online taxi where I was awaited for practice and it was raining. The driver took me to routes where the traffic was veeery bad and I couldn't do anything about it. Oh gosh, I feel like I wanted to punch the front seat. I couldn't yell at the driver because it won't solve anything, I would definitely be late after all. Instead, I tried to calm myself down and pray, think about good things. Thank God that the driver was still nice and took me safely to my destination. How come if he was a bad man and kidnapped me? *knock on woods*. We never know.

Some of my friends also ask, 'Hey Nada, are you still dancing now? How come you manage to still dance while you are already working now?' I am happy my working life still allows me to do what I love to do which is dancing. I didn't realise my hobby could be useful to others, give me extra earnings, and lead me to new opportunities. Besides in the place I work, I'm also asked to teach in other offices for their performance. I get the chance visit new places and meet new people.

Surely, I have dreams and bucket list from the past. But as I live, I am beyond grateful that God has given me valuable opportunities and experiences I've never thought of and expected to have. I may not have everything and still wishing on some things, but on the other side, sometimes I couldn't believe of what God has given me, they are too beautiful. God knows best and He gives what you need more than what you want.

With social media now, I couldn't deny sometimes I get jealous when I see those famous bloggers/influencers' posts. The grass is always greener on the other side, right? But hey, nobody's life is perfect. Every person has their own struggle. Do not compare your life with others', you will never feel enough. By being thankful on small things and what you have now, you will have more.

You are the one who decide to be happy or not.

Be flexible. Life doesn't always go as you wish.

Love the life you live.

Be grateful, appreciate on little things, and share what you have more with others.

I hope everybody have a great year and see you all in 2018.
Happy new year!

You May Also Like

0 comments