Amertha Bhavani Goes to Spain - Introduction and Day 1 (Aug 1, 2015)

by - 12:52 AM

Hello, everybody! As I promised, I finally began writing the highly anticipated story: another cultural mission trip, yeay! What I love about this kind of trip is first, not only be able to dance everyday, but I also present my country. Second, no doubt that I could explore new places. Third, meet new people from many different countries and exchange cultures! Suddenly I got the excitement again.

Since my first mission two years ago in Czech Republic (read the story here), I couldn't wait for having another trip. This year, instead of only being the dancer, I had the opportunity to be the team leader as well. I had to be responsible of everything. Things didn't always go smoothly and how I wanted them to be. I did feel tired sometimes and wish someone else took my place. However, I enjoyed it so much and it was all worh it at the end.

This year, we attended the festivals in Spain. I've been to Barcelona before, but I knew this would be much more than only Barcelona. What makes it different this time is since the festivals we would attend is only 16 days, we extended the trip before and after the festivals (will post about them later). So let me begin the story during the festival.

We left in a group of 26 this time, consists of dancers, musicians, and a photographer. We brought 7 dances and they are Zapin Rembulan (Sumatera), Seudati-Saman (Aceh), Kembang Likpeng (DKI Jakarta), Candu Geulis (West Java), Enggang Papatay (Kalimantan), Pakkape Pakarena (Sulawesi), and Mambo Yospan (Papua).

Friday, July 31, 2015, we were picked up by bus from the festival organiser in Madrid to go to Ribera del Fresno at around 6pm. It took nearly 6 hours. We stopped at a small restaurant somewhere in the middle of the way. Then we continued the journey and I couldn't sleep afterwards. It was dark and there was nothing to see along the way. I realised later that every time we move to another city in Spain, you could see nothing.


We arrived at around 12am. I had no idea where we were at first. It felt cold outside. I came inside and met Juan, one of the hosts. Then I realised we were at an elementary school. The other hosts served us sausage and french fries and they taste good since we were still hungry. After that, since it was already late, we went to our rooms. They were actually classrooms but they put bunk beds so they became like dorms. We were given three rooms, two big rooms for the girls and one small one for the guys. We unpacked our things, cleaned ourselves, and got rest.


The next day, we had breakfast with hot milk, cereals, and biscuits. Those would be our typical breakfast menu every single day. We didn't get used to it at first since most Indonesians eat heavier menu even in the morning. Then we rehearsed afterwards to review our dances.


We met another Indonesian group, they are T-Ta Paramadina. That night, they had performance in Elvas, Portugal. Me and three others from our group came along. And how is my experience in Elvas? See my next post.

You May Also Like

0 comments