Japan Winter Trip, Day 3 (Jan 21, 2017) - Tokyo

by - 1:42 AM


Starting our day by having breakfast in Tsukiji Fish Market. We came with empty stomach on purpose. I have listed some recommended places to eat while in Tsukiji. At first, we were trying to find them. We walked around and were surprised that there are actually many tenants with varieties of food. I don't know it's because of the food or it was only me who was starving, the food look very appetizing! When I saw something interesting, I would love to buy and try it.



The food hunters
We kept walking around to browse. Some tenants look more popular than the others. At the end, we forgot about finding the places on my list and just ate random things along the way. I didn't expect I would have a great culinary adventure here. If my stomach had no limit, I would definitely try them all.


Our breakfast menu. The best finding is the sweet tamago on top right and second best is the fish wrapped with bacon on top left.



After having unexpectedly fulfilling breakfast, we moved the Ginza. I scheduled going here today to experience Ginza Car Free Day. But first, we explored through the famous Uniqlo Ginza store. It has 12 floors! I literally browsed thoroughly on each floor. Some products are displayed not only on one floor and they have cashiers on each floor. I tried some clothes in the dressing room and was surprised knowing that I had to take off my shoes and cover myself with this thin cloth. It really is a new clothes-trying experience for me.

Getting out of the store, we played around on the street. The best thing about car free day here it lasts until 5 or 6 pm. Chairs and tables with umbrellas are even provided for public so that people can just sit around or even eat in the middle of the street. The weather was nice too. Even though it was quite windy, it wasn't too cold. Very excited with this big space I got, I danced around joyfully. This experience wouldn't complete without taking photos. Striking poses with natural wind that blew my hair, I definitely felt like a model doing photoshoot, haha.
Sudden photoshoot in the middle of the street during Ginza Car Free Day



We didn't realize we spent a long time shopping and goofing around until we felt hungry again. Thank God there is Yoshinoya nearby, a popular chain of beef bowl restaurant. I have been curious how the real Yoshinoya taste like. There is no doubt I would order something which is not available in Jakarta, so I ordered Cheese Pork bowl. When it was still hot, I mixed everything inside the bowl and the cheese melted. That combination of hot rice, pork slices, and gooey cheese was awesome! I enjoyed every bite and it was very fulfilling.

Cheese Pork bowl for me and Beef Bowl for dad, didn't take a picture of my brother's Unagi Bowl because he got separate seat
We still got plenty of time to finish the day, so we went to Odaiba, an artificial island in southern Tokyo. My main purpose of going here is to take picture in front of giant Gundam Robot. Of course we took the train to get there. I mostly passed underground track these two days. But this time, I got to have the most enjoyable train ride during the trip.

I was standing because there was no empty seats. I didn't mind, though. The view from the train which took me from Shimbashi to Daiba station is very amazing. I didn't expect it at all. I got to see the beautiful city landscape: long bridges, tall buildings, sunny blue sky, the sea, and even the railway looked very pretty. I smiled the whole time.


The nearest place we could explore from the station is Aqua City shopping mall. Getting off at Daiba station, I felt the wind directly blew us hardly. Even so, we enjoyed walking around and watching the view. Until we couldn't hold the wind any longer, we came inside the mall and went window-shopping.

Crossing the road, we moved to Diver City Tokyo Plaza to find the Gundam Robot. But along the way, we were distracted by interesting findings. First, I accidentally found Nana's Green Tea, a popular green tea dessert house. We decided to try and sit there for a while. Then, we found this large souvenir shop just beside Nana's Green Tea called The Daiba. I think the place has great varieties of Japanese snacks which I didn't easily find anywhere else. Plus, you could get tax-free after certain amount of purchase. Passing the food court, there are also many choices of affordable Japanese restaurant chains.

Nana's Green Tea
Highly recommend the parfait on the right. Best matcha dessert I've ever had.
We went outside and finally found the robot. I was very happy taking picture with this iconic site in Odaiba. Until I wrote this post, the latest news I read is that the robot was removed in March 2017 and would be replaced by a new one.

In front of the giant Gundam Robot


As it was getting dark, we head back to the city. The view from the train looked more beautiful as the lights were lit up. If you have time, I suggest you make a visit to Odaiba. The neighbourhood gives you a different vibe.


We spent the rest of the night walking around Shinjuku. I was instantly in love with the neighborhood! On the night before, we came here only to eat at Ichiran Ramen. That night, we could really get the feel of the area. There are many eating places and the lights mostly come from them. Everything just came into life at night.



Just a couple of snacks we bought that night from 7-Eleven

The unexpectedly great surprises I encountered made it such a fun and enjoyable day. It is definitely one of my best Saturdays.

You May Also Like

0 comments